David Ornstein, a tier 1 journalist, revealed Saturday evening that Chelsea and Cristiano Ronaldo’s agent, Jorge Mendes, have spoken about the Portuguese player leaving Manchester United.
Ornstein tweeted Saturday evening “EXCL: Todd Boehly met Jorge Mendes in Portugal last week.
“Idea of Cristiano Ronaldo to Chelsea among subjects discussed.
“Unclear if #CFC will pursue. Man Utd expect him to stay. 37yo loves #MUFC but has concerns.”
Romelu Lukaku, a forward for the Blues who is about to lose his services due to his decision to return to Inter Milan, may find the offer to be too good to pass up (reported to be agreed, but not yet confirmed).
In addition to hiring one of the greatest players in the history of football, Chelsea would also be defeating one of their main rivals.
If the story hadn’t come from one of Britain’s most dependable football journalists, it might seem improbable.
Ronaldo would be the eighth player to leave United this summer if no new players were brought in.
Additionally, it would leave United’s roster without any established center forwards, leaving only the converted wingers Anthony Martial and Marcus Rashford, both of whom had terrible seasons the previous campaign.
There were rumors that Ronaldo was dissatisfied with events at United, particularly the Red Devils’ lack of activity in the transfer market. Ornstein in The Athletic has verified this.
“Although his affection for the club is undoubted, the former Real Madrid and Juventus forward is thought to harbour concerns about United’s lack of transfer activity so far this summer,” the journalist said.
Bayern Munich made a move yesterday to deny rumors that they were also in talks about a potential move for the Portuguese player, but Ornstein also acknowledged that they had been contacted.
“It is unclear at this stage whether Chelsea will want to pursue the opportunity — which is also believed to have been spoken about with serial German champions Bayern Munich — and as things stand, United intend to keep him at Old Trafford,” he said.